Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Houston Fit

Considering my lack of motivation lately, I've finally admitted to myself that training for my first full marathon by myself is going to be a very difficult task. I knew my first half would be tough, so I had joined the force called Houston Fit. They taught me to run, hydrate and recover. They were even there when I developed shin splints and taught me how to bounce back from them. I'm not sure I could have done my first half without them. So I'm going back. This Saturday will be my first run in 2 years with HF and I'm kind of excited. It's a 5 mile run at 7am - so I'll be setting the alarm clock and making sure to stock the fridge with an appropriate prerun snack. 2 of my friends did their first full marathons this past January and are starting training for their second. They are my encouragement to do this. It will be one of them calling me in the wee hours of the night to get my lazy butt outta bed for the 5am runs. I'm actually pretty excited to join again.

So my schedule will change a little in the next few weeks. HF is not as far along as I am, since I'm running a half on July 18th. We'll see if I need to add any extra miles to my long runs to prepare for that. Last night could have been on of my last runs at BON for a while. HF does their hill and speed training on Tuesday nights, which I'm a little sad about. I love my weekly excursions to BON, but I'm sure I'll live. My friend and I were feeling pretty good after one lap around Rice, so we decided to tack on an extra mile yesterday. At our half mile turn around she says "wanna do sprints?" At first I said no because I remember how bad sprints beat me last week, but then I figured what the heck. She made it easy on me - sprint for 5 trees, slow down for 5 trees.  2 intervals in I was exhausted and my stomach was hungry. I wanted to quit. But there she was in front of me yelling me on. When she said "go" we took off while she counted the trees outloud. Then she said the 3rd tree didn't count cuz it was too small! I thought we were going off the spacing of the trees, so that one should have counted. I also thought that the light pole should have counted as a tree. She tricked me more than once to keep going! You gotta love her for that - I was exhausted at the end, but felt great. It was actually a lot of fun and I think I should do it more often.

The hubby doesn't want to go see the Astros game today, so instead of look for a replacement I'm going to the gym. Today's class is Trifecta Fit - 15 min kickboxing, 30 min spin, 15 min abs. It was a great workout last week - I'll let you know how tonight goes!

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment