Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Beavers - Take One

Sunday a few of us headed to Beaver's for brunch. Nothing starts brunch better than a bloody mary, so of course I obliged and had my first drink before noon. (Don't judge me - I got up at 6am and ran 9 miles, what did you do?) JJ started our meal with an order of his Spam Nuggets - they were chunks of spam breaded and fried then coated in a chipotle honey sauce - so amazing! He had been working on his drop biscuit recipe for the throwdown the next night, so of course one of us ordered the special of the day to try it out. Check out the pictures!



That monstrosity is JJ's masterpiece. From bottom to top: half a biscuit, cheese omelet, gravy, bacon, homemade sausage, other half of the biscuit with a maple coating. He even sprinkled a few yellow flowers on top to finish it off.


I have to say that all of the food was amazing, but we definately tried to eat way too much of it. Our waiter kept the drinks coming to help wash down everything. And just when we thought we'd had all we could take, JJ brought us dessert.



This dessert was a perfect end to brunch: Another one of his drop biscuits stuffed with stewed peaches, candied bacon, maple and a fried egg then garnished with bacon ice cream and maple fluff! I think I could have just had this for breakfast and been completely satisfied. I'd heard of bacon ice cream before, but been a lil afraid of it - for evidently no reason at all. It was yummy! It tasted of vanilla with a hit of sweetness and of course BACON.



Beaver's is fastly becoming one of my favorite restaurants in Houston - and not just because I've made friends with the chef and the bartender, but because they really have some awesome food, drinks and patrons. We managed to turn brunch into a four hour event and make our way through at least half of the drink menu. I love Sundays (esp when meals like this get to be followed by an afternoon nap)!

No comments:

Post a Comment