Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Humidity

I have to say, the humidity in Houston right now is really killer. I really don't remember it being this hot and humid last year or the year before. The air is so thick at times that it seems I'll never catch my breath. The minute I walk outside, I start sweating. And cooling off? Forget it. I stay hot forever!

My first official run with HF went great this weekend. I even managed to get there early enough to catch most of the injury prevention seminar (don't worry, I've heard it all before).  I met up with V and her friend from high school and we all compared notes on which fall marathons we were going to run. They are both doing Chicago and I'm a little jealous. But then again, they won't get Tiffany necklaces, so I guess it's both win-win. They get a flat course, and I get something shiny for running the SF hills. We set off on the run with the rest of the group and settled into an easy 10 min/mile pace. The sun was just starting to come up, which was good since we were running along the bayou and it is a rather uneven trail. We had to run single file for most of the run. Without anyone to pace me, I ended up pulling ahead without realizing it. I figured I'd just run on ahead and wait for them at the half way point. It felt great with the slight breeze, even though I was practically soaking wet already from sweat. The humidity made me thirsty and by the halfway point I had already finished my bottle of water (which I never do). Thankfully, HF set up a water station for us, so I refueled and stretched while I waited. Once V and her friend caught up, we took a quick walk break, then resumed our jog. I forced myself to take the last half slower and paced myself with them so that I didn't wear myself out. (I did take the last 1/2 mile at a full on sprint.) We actually had to take a few more walk breaks due to construction on the course - better safe than sorry!

We finished the run with some core exercises and stretching. I have to say, I'm feeling really good in my training so far (I hope I'm not jinxing myself with that comment!).

No comments:

Post a Comment