Friday, June 25, 2010

Catching Up

I feel like it's been forever since I posted. I've been rather lazy while Hubby has been away, but he comes back next week so I better get my butt in gear soon!

Last weekend I travelled back home to visit la familia and tackled an 11 miler on my own. Tyler has just extended it's running/bike path and I wasn't sure how long it was now. It's an out-and-back type trail, so I figured I'd just run until my watch told me I could stop. I started the run at sun up (my dad had little faith in me actually getting up and going - I showed him). About half a mile in a couple pulled up in a van and stopped me to ask me about the park. I told them what I knew, but that I wasn't really sure since I didn't live in town anymore. They thanked me and I went on my way. The route took me into the woods and then along Grande Road (which is laden in hills). The one way trip was 3.75 miles. It was already so humid and hot and I was getting close to exhausted. I turned around and headed back, running through water sprinklers along the way. I passed my out of town friends again and took a GU much earlier than I'd planned - at mile 6. I was wearing my fuel belt with a bottle of water and one of Gatorade and both were empty. Only the first mile and a half of the trail had water fountains on it, so I filled back up as soon as I saw one. Most of the people out on the trail were walkers and I desperately needed a runner to come up from behind me to push me harder. I put my headphones on and pushed through as hard as I could.

At mile 8, I ran into the running couple again. I took a short break to stretch with the woman and chat. Her husband happened to be training for Chicago this fall (one week before my marathon) and they live in Katy! What a small world it is sometimes. I wished them both well and hoped they enjoyed their stay in Tyler. Back on the trail, I realized it was almost 7:30 and I wanted to finish my run before 8am. I had 3 miles to go. 3 miles is usually a piece of cake, but after already running 8 in the heat, it was dreadful. I sucked down water at every fountain I passed (it was colder than what was in my belt). I had to mentally focus on my form since I was so exhausted and just wanted to quit. I started to envy all the walkers because they didn't have to run 11 miles. I refused to let myself stop until my watched beeped 11. I thought it would never happened - but it did. And I immediately walked to the car to grab a towel and my iced down Gatorade. I was too tired to even stretch.  I got in the car and drove the 20 minutes back to my parents house dreaming of a nap.

Of course, by the time I arrived, I was energized again. I pulled my yoga mat out onto the back porch and stretched and did ab work. My lovely mother even had a delicious breakfast waiting on me when I finished. Runs at home are usually much more fun, but I persevered through it. I am definitely looking forward to running with the group tomorrow (and praying that the humidity here is not as horrible as it was in Tyler).

God bless Texas! :) Happy running everyone!

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing! Great job!!!!!