First week of GSTs! (That exclamation point is there to show pure fear, not excitement)
Here's the low down:
Beginning of the General-Strengthening Period
Speed-Strength Circuit: Use the Special Warm-Up (SWU), and then perform the following exercises in order. Move quickly from exercise to exercise, but don't perform the exercises themselves overly quickly - in other words, don't sacrifice good form just to get them done in a hurry. The idea is to do each exercise methodically and efficiently - and then almost immediately start on the next exercise.
(1) Run 400 meters (or 1/4 mile) at what feels like 5-K race pace (on a scale from 1-10, your effort should feel like a "9" as you run)
(2) Complete 12 squat thrusts with jumps (burpees)
(3) Do 2 chin-ups
(4) Perform 30 ab crunches
(5) Do 12 push-ups
(6) Complete 24 body-weight squats (fast)
(7) Run 400 meters at 5-K intensity again
(8) Do 10 squat and dumbbell presses with 10-lb dumbbells
(9) Perform 30 low-back extensions
(10) Complete 8 feet-elevated push-ups
(11) Do 20 lunges with each leg
(12) Complete 20 bench dips
(13) Run 400 meters at 5-K intensity
(14) Repeat steps 2-13 one more time (for two circuits in all), and then cool down with 2 miles of light jogging
This workout is hella hard and completely exhausting. Each week, we'll be increasing the amount of exercises and the length of the sprints. I wanted to puke after each day's 3rd sprint.
Monday: GST 400
Wednesday: GST 400
Saturday: 12 Mile LSD
The GSTs really took it out of me. My body was sore and tired and I needed those extra rest days. By Sunday, I was feeling great and ready for the next week's training to start.