Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rodeo Run 10K

Sorry I've been a little mia lately - work has been so much crazier than normal and I haven't done much else. The other weekend was the Conoco Phillips Rodeo Run. I honestly signed up a few months ago and almost forgot about it. I haven't really had much time to train for it, but I went out with some friends to have a good time.
Here we are at the start. It was a nice overcast day with a nice cool wind. Great for a 9:30 start time. I've always wondered why they start this race so late and still manage to get so many participants. It's a 5k and 10k. This year they had over 14,000 runners!
The race runs through downtown along the rodeo parade course. As soon as the runners get by, the parade starts. It makes for some pretty good spectators in the first half.
Clay Walker was at the start. He was pointing out the group of "walkers" waiting to start and said "that's my group". Ha, he's so funny. Funny and cheesy - but he sings really well!
I absolutely love running downtown! There's something about the tall buildings and proximity to everything that I just love. I work down there and couldn't imagine being anywhere else.
First half is done. Now we're headed up the viaduct - the only big hills we have in Houston: man-made. This bridge is in the first mile of the marathon, but the last end of this race. We go across it, around the neighborhood, then back across to downtown.
I made it up the hill pretty well. I was feeling good and not watching my watch (it was dead anyway). I wanted this run to only be on feel. Since I didn't really train for it, I just wanted to go out and give it all I had. I had forgotten that the first incline on the way back was the steepest. I had to walk for about 20 seconds to lower my heart rate. After that, I managed to tackle the rest of the incline pretty well. Most of the runners were fading out so I had a chance to pass quite a few.
My favorite place! Baseball season is right around the corner. I was pretty exhausted by this point, but I knew the 6 mile marker was just in front of me. They changed the finish line this year, but I knew it couldn't be far. They had us run around a few corners before we could see the line, but I sprinted forward and finished with a smile on my face.
Rodeo Run 10k #3 complete. And with a new PR: 55:05!

I had previously sworn off this race because of the time of day and how hot is usually is. But my friends signed up this year and I just don't know how to say no. The race was as well organized as usual, but there was more offered at the finish line. Previously they had run out of gatorade by the 1 hour mark and there wasn't much else. This year, they had plenty of water and gatorade, plus fruit, candy, gogurt, 5 hour energy, icy hot patches, etc. N and I definately filled our bags with goodies to prep for our next adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the PR!!!! You rocked it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finish time! Sounds like a fun race with lots of goodies at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome!! that's where I work downtown Houston!!

    HS

    ReplyDelete